Thursday, April 7, 2011

At It Again...

Lord only knows why I do this to myself.  In my continuing fight against old age, I have once again started up the triathlon training.  Now, since I haven't been doing much of anything for the last year, I've gotten fat and lazy and waaayyy out of shape.  Truth is, I haven't been able to do much because of my hand. 

"Oh.... that old excuse!"  Yep, that's the one I'm stickin' with.  D'Quervein's Tendnoitis.  Amazing to me just how much an injured hand can impede your progress to everything except the refrigerator.  Running shakes and jars it, can't hold on to the bike with it, and swimming is painful.   So the next course of action was - surgery.  So that put me down for a month and it still hurts about the same as before.  That may be considered a successful surgery, I don't know.  At least it's not worse.

Life is full of excuses - I hear a lot of them from Reed.  Mostly "it's the teacher's fault!" 

So here's the end of mine, I guess. I'm back out on the road, ignominiously reduced to the couch to 10K program on my iphone after the glory days of my Olympic distance triathlons.  To make myself accountable, I signed up as a mentor on the BeginnerTriathlete website.  But what help can I give them other than support and empathy?  I'm a shy, old, new(ish) triathlete (I can still call myself a triathlete 'cause I did one within the last year). 

My nutrition practices run counter to accepted wisdom, although they work for me.  Probably give everyone else heartburn.

I'm slow in every event.  I dream of a 12 minute mile in the run and 15-18mph on the bike.  I'm better at the swim than the others, but I take my time cause I like that one the best - always counts against me.  Unfortunately, they don't give extra points for attitude.  But, as long as they have beer at the end (and I don't have to drive) and cheeseburgers near by I'm a happy camper.

This is probably the definition of insanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment